RE: how about a find-library-other-window command?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how about a find-library-other-window command?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:51:51 -0700

> I've wondered in the past whether it would be feasible to have
> C-x 4 be bound to
> a command which reads a key sequence then executes it in another
> window, so that
> we needn't define new commands for every command we want to
> execute in the other
> window.
>
> We could still define key aliases so that C-x 4 f would be
> find-file-other-window instead of the more cumbersome C-x 4 C-x
> C-f. This means
> we can't use 'f' in the other window, but how useful would
> self-insert-command
> be anyway?

I won't argue against exploring that, but I don't really see what is gained,
beyond not needing to define the separate `-other-*' commands. What is
gained for a user? I guess s?he might have fewer keys to remember, but s?he
would have more keys to type, no?

Also, I can imagine (though I don't recall if this is ever the case in the
current code) that some `-other-*' commands might need to do some additional
or different treatment. That is, I'm not sure that a blanket conversion from
`foo' to `foo-other-window' is good for all cases. But that would be a minor
consideration anyway - those commands could be treated specially.