Re: Saving markup formats

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:25:24 -0400

    This is a very bad thing; a _reliable_ word
    processor---as opposed to an unreliable hack---shouldn't make any
    changes to the logical structure of a document unless explicitly
    ordered to do it.

I reject that position (as well as the gratuitous insult tacked onto
it).  It is an important feature of Emacs that text is a sequence of
characters, not structured.  That is why you can kill text anywhere
and yank it anywhere.

To save files as RTF does not require that we use the structured
nesting features of RTF.  We want to be able to read such RTF files,
and when doing som we can either flatten the structure or record it by
means of markup text (effectively, open and close braces in the text
itself).