Re: XML editing wishlist

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: XML editing wishlist
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:57:21 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
I would love to see a really handy XML editing mode. I don't claim it
doesn't exist, but I haven't yet noticed some things I'd like to see. `C-h
m' in nXML mode gives only a cursory description, the XML menu-bar menu
seems quite sparse, there are no contextual pop-up menus (that I have
noticed), and the nXML Info manual (which I have only skimmed) seems also
quite skimpy. In short, where's the beef? ;-)

In the function nxml-complete.

Internally nXml uses rng, but there are converters available from dtd and xsd.

1. Double-click the mouse  on `<' or `>' to pick up a complete sexp, just as
in Lisp. Or, better, double-click to pick up a complete tag and triple-click
to pick up the complete element. Currently, as soon as there is any
whitespace (e.g. there is an attribute), the complete tag is not selected.
Double-click, then right-click to extend to the next element boundary (or
something more significant than just a word). Other mouse selection
possibilities could also be useful. The mouse now seems almost useless for
XML.

There are no mouse bindings, but the needed functions are there in nXml
AFAICS.