Re: Don't concat directories to file names

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Don't concat directories to file names
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:29:29 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:

 > Perhaps we could name the variable `user-data-directory' and the
 > function `find-user-data-file'.

That name for the variable is fine with me.  The user-init-directory
can continue to have the semantics we've used to date, and
user-data-directory will probably default to that in XEmacs.

Regarding `find-user-data-file', XEmacs distinguishes between
"locating" a file (those functions return file names), and "finding" a
file (those functions switch to a buffer visiting the file).  I forget
which your function does....  I don't have a strong feeling about
this, but Emacs makes a similar distinction with "find-library"
vs. "locate-library".  Maybe it's worth being consistent?