RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:13:45 -0700

> > By default, `read-face-name' shows the face name without a
> > face, followed by a small swatch in the face - per Stefan's
> > suggestion. By customizing `icicle-WYSIWYG-Completions-flag',
> > you can alternatively remove the color swatch (no WYSIWYG
> > display) or show the face name itself using the face, instead.
>
> Entia non sunt multiplicanda.  Instead of inventing a dozen of new
> representations of face samples, it would be better to use the format
> familiar to users from using the command `list-faces-display':
>
>   Use <mouse-2> or M-x help-follow on a face name to customize it
>   or on its sample text for a description of the face.
>
>   bold abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
>   bold-italic abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> The face list in this format could be inserted into the
> *Completions* buffer and selecting a face name will use it as
> the completion instead of going to the Customization buffer.

You don't really propose putting all of that stuff in *Completions*, do you?

When it comes to display of color and such, people have very different needs
and preferences. Of the two screenshots I sent, I prefer the one with the
face on the entire face name; some other users might prefer the one with the
swatch; still others will prefer to see just the names, with no WYSIWYG
indication.

Allowing for different user preferences in a reasonable way is not violating
Occam's razor. We can discuss whether "a dozen of new representations of
face samples" is needed, or whether a few (as I proposed) suffices. That is,
we can discuss what constitutes "unnecessary multiplication of things" in
this particular case.

It is violating Occam's razor to multiply things unnecessarily in
*Completions*, under the arguments of (a) code reuse or (b) user
familiarity. The swatch screenshot I sent provides everything that the
`list-faces-display' provides, without all of the unnecessary clutter, and
it lets users control the size of the swatch.