Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:29:16 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   IIRC, the objection was that people expected equal precedence with
   left to right evaluation (as in C).  Giving / precedence over *
   doesn't fix that - it just gives another "wrong" result.

and Jay Belanger wrote:

   At any rate, setting calc-multiplication-has-precedence to nil should
   probably give equal precedence for aesthetic reasons; that's a trivial
   fix that I'll make this afternoon.

I guess I must be missing something obvious, but given
left-associativity, can you give me any example where giving /
precedence over * gives a different result than giving them equal
precedence (as opposed to merely using a different algorithm to
compute the same result, in which case I would guess that only the
relative speed of the two algorithms would matter).

Sincerely,

Luc.