Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:18:39 -0500

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> if you give * higher precedence than /, as Calc did up to know
> and still does by default now (unless I misunderstood).

That's right.

> I do not know what preference Calc gives to mod, relative to / and *,
> for either value of `calc-multiplication-has-precedence'.

In Calc, the precedence of the mod operator "%" is equal to that of
"/", and so is normally less than that of "*", but "%", "/" and "*"
all have equal precedence if `calc-multiplication-has-precedence' is
nil.  (Parentheses are still a good idea, of course, but not
required.)  Note that the mod operator "mod", which creates modulo
forms, is different than the mod operator "%", which computes
remainders.   10 mod 4 = 2 mod 4, and 10 % 4 = 2. "mod" has a much
higher precedence.

Jay