Re: Saving markup formats

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100

"Davis Herring" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure that this property-set really captures the structure of the
> document in a way that fits what properties do: if someone kills an entire
> paragraph and yanks it inside another paragraph, Emacs won't know that the
> text properties "element -> text:p" are from different paragraphs.  If
> those paragraphs had different styles or so, you risk losing that
> information in the most obvious implementations I can see.

No. A style is unique. More than one paragraph might carry the same
style, but in that case they'll both have the same style
properties.

So if you have a paragraph with a style attached to it and you kill it
and then yank it to somewhere else and it has the same styles attached
to it.

The problem you're talking about does occur when you have 'embedded
structure', when you have a paragraph inside a list item for example.

But to be honest, I'm not sure how much that happens with OpenDoc and
Word. It certainly happens in these situations:

- tables
- lists

but both of those will require a little extra display work anyway. I
think anything embedded in a list or table will be free of any list or
table properties.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk