Re: Saving markup formats

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:07:36 +0200

() Nic James Ferrier <address@hidden>
() Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:56:36 +0100

   I think anything embedded in a list or table will be free of
   any list or table properties.

that thinking doesn't scale, unfortunately.  better to think of
lists in lists, lists in tables, tables in lists, and tables in
tables.  generally, most things can logically be nested (and
sometimes illogically as well -- just look at what people publish
on the net :-).

here is an example i hope we can use as a "working exercise":

  lists
  * item1
  * ===========BIG==================
    =  foo         =  zzz          =
    =  * bar       =  * yyy        =
    =  * baz       =  * ==SMALL==  =
    =              =    = 3 = 5 =  =
    =  wow         =    = 4 = 2 =  =   <--
    =  * zow       =    = 6 = A =  =
    =    * yow     =    =========  =
    ================================
  * item3

each of these pieces of text (chosen to be unique for clarity) has
a location and a function: lists, item1, BIG, foo, zzz, bar, baz,
yyy, SMALL, 3, 5, wow, 4, 2, zow, 6, A, yow, item3.  additionally,
each "=", "*" and " " has its coordinate.

deriving a tree from this is easy.  rendering the tree is
moderately easy.  the hard questions are:
 - what text properties to put on each character?
 - if we do C-k at various places on the <-- (indicated) line:
   - what should happen (to text / properties)?
   - what should we do if what should happen doesn't?
 - simiarly for C-y anywhere, w/ and w/o prior kill.

thi