Re: Saving markup formats

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:31:46 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> here is an example i hope we can use as a "working exercise":
>
>   lists
>   * item1
>   * ===========BIG==================
>     =  foo         =  zzz          =
>     =  * bar       =  * yyy        =
>     =  * baz       =  * ==SMALL==  =
>     =              =    = 3 = 5 =  =
>     =  wow         =    = 4 = 2 =  =   <--
>     =  * zow       =    = 6 = A =  =
>     =    * yow     =    =========  =
>     ================================
>   * item3
>
> each of these pieces of text (chosen to be unique for clarity) has
> a location and a function: lists, item1, BIG, foo, zzz, bar, baz,
> yyy, SMALL, 3, 5, wow, 4, 2, zow, 6, A, yow, item3.  additionally,
> each "=", "*" and " " has its coordinate.

The trouble is (as you point out) this is not going to work because
doing kill-line at char 0,line 5 will presumably kill the entire table
row including the start of the table in column 2.

So the answer to this is not to do wysiwyg layout to this
extent. Colouring or some such could be used to indicate that a
flatter rendering actually represents something else.

It is, as you are suggesting I think, impossible to do the above
without completly changing the way kill, yank, etc... work which rms
doesn't want.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk