Re: ~/.emacs vs ~/.emacs.d/init.el

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: ~/.emacs vs ~/.emacs.d/init.el
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:54:17 -0700 (PDT)

> I've read the info nodes "Init File", "Find Init" and "Initial
> Options"; I've also looked at the code. I'm still not sure whether
>
>   emacs --user=another
>
> should make ~another/.emacs.d/init.el possible, though the code
> suggests that the answer is not (~/.emacs.d/ was hardcoded, and
> `user-emacs-directory' does not change that), and I'm not sure why
> (conceptually speaking).

It certainly should!  --user picks a _directory_ (the home directory of a
user), and .emacs, .emacs.d/init.el, etc. are all conceptually relative
filenames in that directory.  I hate to duplicate the
`user-emacs-directory' variable (or whatever it ends up being called), but
those filenames should really get `expand-file-name'd against a home
directory chosen by that option (or by $HOME otherwise).

Davis

shipping.