RE: A wish, a plea

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: A wish, a plea
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:19:39 -0700

> > C-x C-c C-x works really well (it is still easy to type, and I've
> > never hit it accidentally).
>
> I agree with this as well, I use F12 and I never hit it by accident
> anymore. I used to quit emacs accidentally about 3 times a week.

If some who are quite used to Emacs hit that key sequence by accident 3
times a week (if you start Emacs once a day, that's a lot!), then perhaps
the default binding should be changed.

Any key binding can be hit accidentally, especially one with repetition such
as C-x C-c C-x. If response is slow for some reason, a user might hit the
same key again, thinking it wasn't received. If we're going to opt for a
3-stroke exit, then why not `C-x C-c y'? That is, why not show the user a
message asking whether to exit?

I use a `kill-emacs-query-functions' y-or-n-p confirmation:
(add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions
          (lambda () (y-or-n-p "Do you really want to exit Emacs? "))
          'append)