Re: A wish, a plea

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:33:10 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> If some who are quite used to Emacs hit that key sequence by accident 3
> times a week (if you start Emacs once a day, that's a lot!), then perhaps
> the default binding should be changed.

I'm not just quite used to Emacs. I've used it for several hours a
day, everyday for more than 10 years. I code in it, I write in it, I
read my email in it, etc...

And still I couldn't train myself to not kill Emacs that way.

> Any key binding can be hit accidentally, especially one with repetition such
> as C-x C-c C-x. If response is slow for some reason, a user might hit the
> same key again, thinking it wasn't received. If we're going to opt for a
> 3-stroke exit, then why not `C-x C-c y'? That is, why not show the user a
> message asking whether to exit?
>
> I use a `kill-emacs-query-functions' y-or-n-p confirmation:
> (add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions
>           (lambda () (y-or-n-p "Do you really want to exit Emacs? "))
>           'append)

As I said on an earlier thread. My brain just trained me to answer
whatever was the quickest way to get myself into trouble.

The problem didn't go away for me until I unbound kill-emacs from any
kind of "normal Emacs" key combo. I like somebody's suggestion of
Alt+F4... but I use F12 bound inside Emacs.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk