Re: *scratch* buffer (was: A wish, a plea)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: *scratch* buffer (was: A wish, a plea)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:53:45 -0400

    `initial-major-mode' and `default-major-mode' default to `text-mode'.
    We assume that most people want to write one or another form of text
    or code in some language other than elisp. Text-mode provides basic
    support for that. We are pretty sure that the majority of users
    doesn't know much elisp, and of those who know it, only a minority
    will use Emacs predominantly to configure or extend Emacs.

    The initial message in the *scratch* buffer is not shown. We want its
    function to be self-evident. Users are not required to read text
    before they get going (most people, even newbies, presumably don't
    read it anyways).

It would seem that this does nothing to address the problem at hand.