Re: info DIR file: Duplicate topic entries problem

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: info DIR file: Duplicate topic entries problem
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:58:08 +0530

On 6/23/07, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> for all topics. The next time I update and build, I see a second entry
> for almost all the topics (except "Emacs Lisp Introduction"). It is
> not a case of blind appending, something else must be broken in the
> "make info" which updates the DIR file.

Do you mean that the `info/dir' _file_ gets modified to include
duplicate entries?  Or do you mean that looking at the (dir) _node_
after typing "C-h i" in Emacs, you see duplicate menu items?

The info/dir file does not have duplicate entries. But, I do see
duplicate menu entries on "C-h i" in emacs. I could fix this by
renaming the folder in which I had build emacs. This makes me believe
that emacs has taken the build directory as the part of the info path
list (though this is not shown in the

The list var "Info-default-directory-list" has the following value
(with no customization i.e., "emacs -q")

("c:/emacs/info/" "/usr/local/share/info/" "/usr/local/info/"
"/usr/local/gnu/info/" "/usr/local/gnu/lib/info/"
"/usr/local/gnu/lib/emacs/info/" "/usr/local/emacs/info/"
"/usr/local/lib/info/" "/usr/local/lib/emacs/info/" "/gnu/info/"
"e:/GNU/emacs/info/")

The last entry is the location I have installed emacs (e:/gnu/emacs).
IMHO, the other directories are redundant. Based on the OS, could we
have a smaller set or could this be decided based on the existence of
the folder?

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!