Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:26:49 -0400

    (1) The `format-decode' ("round-trip" as the new Elisp manual entry
    calls them) based functions are Lisp functions, may change the buffer,
    and may call the after-change functions for what they do.  They precede,
    within `insert-file-contents', the after-change-functions call.

That sounds like a bug to me.  I guess signal_after_change
should be done before `format-decode'.

Does anyone disagree?

Can you test such a change?

    (2) Calling `after-change-functions' from within `format-decode' or
    `after-insert-file-functions' seems to me highly risky.  Personally, I'd
    never trust any of them if they don't use `inhibit-modification-hooks'.

I won't say you are wrong, but I don't see why that would be so.
Can you explain?

    (3) Not calling `after-change-functions' after performing all functions
    in `after-insert-file-functions' may mean, for example, not executing
    `font-lock-after-change-function' after inserting the contents of some
    file in the current buffer.

No, because if `after-insert-file-functions' change the buffer,
the primitives they use will themselves call signal_after_change.