Re: Experimental features

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Re: Experimental features
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:43:34 -0700

The other advantage in doing what you suggest is that external
packages can evolve more rapidly than Emacs.

Including things with core emacs is primarily a user convenience;
but that then becomes an inconvenience if core Emacs includes an
older version of an external package, because, now the user has
to know to grab the unbundled package and install it such that it
shadows what is bundled with Emacs. Thus, I believe:

A)      Core Emacs should unbundle --- not bundle more packages
B)      Core Emacs needs a light-weight means for users to
discover and incorporate additional esxternal packages into their site.

    Andreas> Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2007 23:05 schrieb Stefan
    Andreas> Monnier:
    >> Release practice during Emacs-21 at least is that new
    >> features could only appear in new major releases, except
    >> for a few small exceptions.
    >>
    >> I'd like to change that to make released Emacsen evolve
    >> faster.  One way to do that would be to introduce the idea
    >> of "experimental" features which could be added to any
    >> minor release.
    >>
    >> An experimental feature would be disabled by default and
    >> the code should be written in such a way that as long as
    >> the feature is enabled, it's clearly obvious that it
    >> cannot have any negative effect.
    >>
    >> We'd then provide a way for the user to activate some of
    >> the experimental features from her .emacs file.  After
    >> some time, we would promote the new feature such that it
    >> is not experimental any more.
    >>

    >> Stefan

Very good idea. But let's put the question more thoroughly: as