Re: clipboard-*

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: clipboard-*
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:11:09 +1200

Leo writes:
 > > I noticed that clipboard-* functions are only available when running
 > > emacs with an X GUI and was curious about whether it was a design
 > > decision, or simply missing functionality, not to be able to use these
 > > functions when running in terminal (-nw).
 > >
 > > /c
 >
 > I also run emacs in xterm and it is painful to copy things between emacs
 > and other applications without using mouse.

If you read the manual you'll see that you can still do this:

                                                                The
  normal `xterm' mouse functionality for such clicks is still available
  by holding down the `SHIFT' key when you press the mouse button.

When running in terminal, Emacs doesn't communicate with the Xserver (although
xterm may).  This means that it can be invoked remotely even when X isn't
allowed over the connection.  If the connection can use X and you want to
use the clipboard-* functions why not just run it as an X application?