Re: Patch to make VC annotate async

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch to make VC annotate async
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:24:14 -0600

>> The slowdown with svn seems to come while computing the text to send; once
>> sent it seems to arrive quickly enough that I don't notice the contents
>> not being fontified.

Stefan> In the case of CVS, the annotated text is sent directly from
Stefan> the server, so the rhythm at which it arrives depends on the
Stefan> speed of your connection.  Maybe SVN computes the annotated
Stefan> text locally, in which case the network connection would only
Stefan> be involved before the result starts showing up.

Or maybe my network connection is faster.  I didn't look too deeply
into this.

Stefan> But then I wonder: why did you bother to introduce this async
Stefan> patch (since you seem to find the "context switch" to
Stefan> something else to be a problem rather than a feature)?

For me the question here is when the buffer should be displayed.  It
could be displayed immediately, or it could be displayed after the
contents are all available.  I tried both.  Delaying the display of
the buffer felt a bit unfriendly because the creation of a new window
will rearrange the display enough that I lose track of point.  On the
other hand, immediately displaying the buffer gives me time to adjust
and continue working.  I hope this explains things a bit better; this
area is somewhat subjective and I notice that at least one other
package has gone the maximally configurable approach here -- see
Man-notify-method.

Stefan> Oh, I see, I had completely forgotten about it, but yes I have it
Stefan> written as:

Stefan>   (with-current-buffer buffer
Stefan>     ;; FIXME: it'd be even better to do it in the process-filter.

This suggests that you preferred the approach I took ;-)
But, I don't really care.  I can rewrite it to use vc-exec-after --
if that is what you want, let me know, and I will send a new patch.

Tom