Re: address@hidden: Re: emacs-22.1 with GTK dumps core when Gnome wigets

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: emacs-22.1 with GTK dumps core when Gnome wigets clicked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:04:54 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> There is a serious problem with SYNC_INPUT, which is the reason it has
>> not been made the default.  The problem is that it makes Emacs unable
>> to update the display except when it can read input.
>
> You are still somewhat unclear about how SYNC_INPUT works.  It can update
> the display just fine even when Emacs can't read input.  The only times when
> it can't update the display is when it's stuck in an endless loop with no
> QUIT or UNBLOCK_INPUT in sight.

I was under the impression, from the last time this was discussed on
emacs-devel, that the plan was to move to SYNC_INPUT after the Emacs
22.1 release.  If this is still the case, then I can go through the
Emacs sources to find and fix loops lacking QUIT.  Then we can make
the switch.

(On the other hand, it would be easier to do this after the unicode
merge.  I have several other cleanups that are also sitting around
waiting for the merge.)