Re: A wish, a plea

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:05:50 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> (defcustom visit-on-startup "~/"
>>   "File or directory to visit when Emacs is started."
>>   :type '(choice (const :tag "Splash screen only" nil)
>>                  (file  :tag "Visit file or directory" :value "~/"))
>>   :group 'emacs)
>>
>> I'd vote for the default value being `~/', but deciding on the default value
>> is a different issue than deciding to let users customize the startup
>> behavior.
>
> You forgot the option for displaying *scratch* on startup.  Perhaps
> nil should do that, and I think it should be the default value.

I think that is special-casing *scratch* too much.  Maybe
visit-on-startup can evaluate to a buffer and be something like
(get-buffer-create "*scratch*")
(find-file "~/")
and the special value "nil" is reserved for not mapping an initial
frame at all (namely, waiting for a call of emacsclient).

Or something like that.  I'll readily admit that this might not be the
final solution.