RE: A wish, a plea

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: A wish, a plea
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:28:16 -0700

> > ,----[ C-h v confirm-kill-emacs RET ]
> > | confirm-kill-emacs is a variable defined in `files.el'.
> > | Its value is y-or-n-p
>
> I customized this option to the same value long ago since this key
> combination is easy to mistype.  But I guess changing its default value to
> always ask confirmation will be undesirable for users who rebound it to
> another key which is not easy to mistype.  Also this is undesirable when
> exiting is invoked from the menu.
>
> Maybe there should exist a new function (for putting it to
> confirm-kill-emacs), and it should check if it was called by
> `C-x C-c' and ask confirmation only in this case?

Why? I don't get it. Why only for `C-x C-c'?

"Will be undesirable for users" who prefer something else is not a problem.
That will always be true for some users, no matter what the default behavior
is. But they can customize the option.

The real question is what the default behavior should be, and who it should
target. I argue that possible loss of data is important, and it is
especially important for newbies. Those who want to live more dangerously
and who don't want to be bothered by the confirmation query can customize
this.