Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:52:03 +0200

On 6/27/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

But some users like to use the kill
commands to copy read-only text into the kill ring, without
actually changing it.

Interesting, thanks.

Why?  It does not make the act of typing characters more or less
legitimate.

Typing text in a read-only buffer won't have much of an effect, unless
the keys are bound to some commands other than `self-insert-command'.
And if they are, I really doubt these commands use the value of
`overwrite-mode' to select among several different behaviors, except
in very specialized cases. In most normal uses, activating
overwrite-mode in a read-only mode is an error, if a harmless one.

But this is not really important, I was just curious. For my own use
it *is* an error to set overwrite-mode in a read-only buffer, so I'll
defadvice around the issue.

            Juanma