Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: insert-file-contents and format-decode
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:50:04 -0400

     >     (2) `insert-file-contents' with `visit-flag' nil
     >
     > This is the case where it is desirable to make just one undo entry for
     > the file contents as finally decoded.
     >
     >     (3) functions within format.el (and maybe other functions)
     >
     > For this case, they should do nothing special about undo.
     > The primitives they call should make undo entries normally.

    The problem is that I have to communicate this information in my call to
    `format-decode'.  Currently we have no way to distinguish cases (2) and
    (3) both have `visit-flag' nil.

In case 2, `insert-file-contents' can turn off undo around the call to
`format-decode', and make a single undo entry later on.  In case 1,
`insert-file-contents' can turn off undo around the call to
`format-decode', and not make any undo entry later on.

Thus, `format-decode' itself should not do anything special about undo
in any of the three cases.