Re: guided tour suggestions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guided tour suggestions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:20:43 +0200

Phil Sung <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> Would it be possible to make the screenshots with emacs -Q so that people see
>> what they get out of the box ... ?
>
> Good idea.
>
>> The guided tour ... shows an Emacs a) compiled without a modern
>> toolkit (Gtk+, Windows or Mac) b) without menus c) without toolbars
>> d) without scrollbars (for heaven's sake!) e) without font
>> diversity. The only thing hinting at fonts is a man-page f) without
>> file dialogs g) without tooltips h) without any non-ASCII character
>
> When I get a chance, I will make some screenshots with the default
> UI setup, and with more complex formatting/characters.

Very much appreciated.  One of the problems with promoting Emacs
nowadays are users who tried it 10 years ago and were not getting
along with it.  Dispelling their (and their audience's) preconceptions
is easier with more graphical material.

I am aware that one of the most frequent customizations is turning off
the toolbar in order to maximize screen estate and minimize clutter.
For a live showoff of the skills of an experienced user, this might be
somewhat feasible.  But as soon as we are getting into (live or
off-line) tutorial reign, it becomes a much better idea to show off
and use the menus: that way, people have a chance of _following_ what
you are doing, and maybe even of doing it by themselves.  And they
have the cues for trying it by themselves and remembering the moves
when they are alone.  That the work style of a long-time user is a
different one is not that important.

Thanks for caring,

--
David Kastrup