Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:07:05 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6/28/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> No, it wouldn't.
>
> Well, I'm a user, and *I* would benefit in the same way, which is:
> "Uh? Ah, OK, that wasn't very smart."

But _why_ wouldn't it be "smart"?  The command _is_ executed, it has
the normal effect (which may become relevant if the buffer-read-only
state changes), and it does _absolutely_ no harm to the buffer
contents or anything else.

You still have not presented a single case where a notice would be of
any use at all, even if just to prevent the user from wasting time or
energy.

All that you have stated so far is that you want a warning.  What for?
What help will it provide to the user?  Do you fear that a user will
spend hours toggling Overwrite mode without noticing that he can't
insert or overwrite?

Why should Emacs warn about executing a command that it can perfectly
well execute?

I don't get it, and you are not exactly making a convincing, or even
any case for it.

--
David Kastrup