RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:47:54 -0700

> > Stefan, how about installing your new display-completion-list
> > in the trunk?
>
> It turns out it's a bit inconvenient to do: the function is called from
> Fminibuffer_completion_help which is itself called from various other
> C completion functions, ...
>
> It works for me because I have rewritten all of the completion code in
> Elisp, but doing it piecewise seems difficult.

FWIW -

I too redefined `display-completion-list' in Lisp, and I don't see a
problem. I generally didn't redefine other stuff defined in C - my code
eventually calls those standard functions. I don't, however, use
`minibuffer-completion-help' at all. What were the other places that were
problematic?

I don't doubt what you're saying - I'm just wondering if what I coded might
help. My definition of `display-completion-list' is in `icicles-fn.el', in
case it helps. You can easily spot and ignore the Icicles-specific
enhancements. Ignore altogether if this doesn't help.

A priori, if the problem is in the C callers to `display-completion-list',
then a different definition of that function wouldn't help. But I'm curious,
because I don't notice the problem you mention.