Re: Allow non-matching input, but require confirmation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Allow non-matching input, but require confirmation
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:46:03 -0400

> This strategy seems to encourage valid completions.  Namely, when
> valid completions are avaliable and inputed, no confirmation is made.
> Otherwise, confirmation is made.  If the input can complete to an
> element of collection to make a valid completion, but is not a member
> of collection, should we "encourage" the valid completion by
> completing the input, or confirm the non-matching input as an invalid
> completion?

No, we don't want to complete at all, we just want to let the user know when
he hits RET whether her input is in the list of completions or not.

For find-file, this amounts to warning the user that she's about to open
a non-existing file, which may be exactly what she wants to do, but may also
be just the result of a typo (in my case, in 90% of the cases, it's a TAB
expansion that completed to "foo." instead of one of foo.c or foo.h, in 9%
of the cases it's a typo and in the 1% percent it's really what I want to
do).

        Stefan