Re: Allow non-matching input, but require confirmation

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Allow non-matching input, but require confirmation
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:58:55 +0800

For find-file, this amounts to warning the user that she's about to open
a non-existing file, which may be exactly what she wants to do, but may also
be just the result of a typo (in my case, in 90% of the cases, it's a TAB
expansion that completed to "foo." instead of one of foo.c or foo.h, in 9%
of the cases it's a typo and in the 1% percent it's really what I want to
do).

I see.  This is indeed an improvement on usability.  If the input can
be completed more, perhaps we should not only confirm the user about
it is non-matching, but tell the user it can be completed (although
may not be unique) as well.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/