Re: bad tool-bar icons in Emacs 22.1 release

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: bad tool-bar icons in Emacs 22.1 release
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:46:34 +0200

Reiner Steib skrev:
[ Shifting this from bug-gnu-emacs to emacs-devel: ]

On Mon, Jun 11 2007, Jason Rumney wrote:
Richard Stallman wrote:
    Whether distributing third party libraries from ftp.gnu.org is
    a good idea, or allowable, is a different question.

If it is just a few libraries, it is ok as long as we check
their licenses carefully to make sure we do not violate them.
OK. Here is the license for libxpm, which is the most important for the
color versions of the tool-bar and other images that are a standard part
of Emacs. I think including just this library is enough to satisfy most
users, but that is open to discussion. If others think JPEG, PNG, TIFF
and GIF support are important enough to include, we can look at those
licenses and consider patent issues (for GIF at least, I don't think the
patents have expired in all jurisdictions yet) separately.

PNG is important. If we want Emacs to change icons when the Gnome/Gtk+ theme changes, Emacs will then use PNG icons. Most (all?) Gnome/Gtk+ icons are in PNG format. But this is code that Gtk+ loads dynamically with dlopen, so Emacs itself does not know that PNG is used. Not sure if that affects the license issue?

        Jan D.