Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:43:10 -0400

    How about also installing the enhancements provided by dired-details+.el?

Once dired-details.el is installed, please post a copy
and we can think about which of its features we want to install.

    1. Update the hide/show overlays automatically whenever you create new files
    or directories or rename existing files or directories. This means tweaking
    the definitions of `dired-byte-compile', `dired-compress',
    `dired-create-files' and `dired-create-directory' (instead of advising
    them).

That sounds useful.  What precisely are the "hide/show overlays", though?
Which feature uses them?  Is that something in dired-details?

    2. Provide a user option, `dired-details-propagate-flag' which, if non-nil,
    propagates the last hide/show state you chose to the next Dired buffer you
    open.

I would rather not install that.