Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:43:31 -0400

    Are you saying that if you use `!' in the interactive spec then a user can
    have only the whole-set-at-once behavior and not also the
    act-on-each-candidate behavior? I thought we were talking about _adding_ the
    former, not substituting it for the latter. Now it sounds as if you want to
    take the latter away.

The number of misunderstandings that have occurred in this
conversation have exausted my patience.  I cannot continue it.

I do not want to install Icicles as it exists, since it is a congeries
of features.  Some of those features I simply don't want.  Some I
would like to install, if they were implemented separately in the
cleanest possible way.  In particular, the multi-command behavior
is one I would accept if it is implemented cleanly.

I've suggested a clean approach for that feature, but I don't have
time to implement it myself.  If someone chooses to implement it, we
could install it.

Meanwhile, as I stated earlier, there are other small features in Icicles
that would be nice to install individually.

The practice of putting a congeries of features into a single
incoherent package creates a large and unnecessary obstacle to
installing some of them.  Often the obstacle is so big that none of
them ever get installed.

Thus we urge users to propose one feature at a time, one bug fix at a
time, etc.