Re: source repository

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: source repository
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:33:39 +0200

dhruva <address@hidden> writes:

> For someone like me with no write access to CVS (well, I do not need
> for the trivial changes I make), a DSCM offers a mechanism to keep
> my local changes under version control. This greatly helps preparing
> localized (customized) packaging for our internal use. IMHO, this
> can trigger more involvement as people can maintain their own
> changes (_under_ _version_ _control__ and repeatedly apply them onto
> the mainstream Emacs changes.

Personally, I don't think that any current dSCM has seen much
large-scale project exposure and can at the same time be considered
stable and available cross-platform.

On my personal list of systems, git probably comes closest: it
certainly is there to stay, even though it is still undergoing quite a
bit of development.  And its being used for Linux kernel development
means that its problems are similar to ours.

The main crucial difference in our target clientele is that for git
developers, MS Windows is mostly off the radar.  The available Cygwin
port is bulky and comparatively slow.

--
David Kastrup