Re: source repository

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: source repository
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 20:24:22 -0700

> Several years ago there was a suggestion to use Subversion in some
> major way on Savannah.  People (I don't recall who) looked at the
> situation and reported that the Subversion developers did not support
> us as we wished, so we did not promote it.
>
> It's possible I misremembered what they reported a few years ago.  If
> so, I apologize.  Before today I did not know who Subversion
> developers were.  You and Jim are certainly free software supporters.
> I don't know whether Subversion as a project supports free software
> and GNU the way you personally have.

Subversion supports free software no less than CVS does (both Jim and
I have been on both teams), insofar as such things can be measured.

So if that report from long ago remains the reason you don't use
Subversion on Savannah, then it's time to reconsider.  You now have
credible sources telling you the report was wrong.

Not that I'm pushing Subversion.  If Emacs switched to Mercurial or
GIT I'd be just as happy; CVS is getting in our way, for reasons
others have explained at length already.