Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 07:38:57 -0400

RMS, as I understand, what Drew is saying regarding frame fitting:

  * if you do not use frame fitting functions, and
    you use an instance of Emacs in one frame only,

  * then, by reducing details in dired, you see only the file names
    and lots of empty space in the buffer.

That is according to a test with this morning's snapshot of Emacs and
the dired-details.el and dired-details+.el that I got yesterday.

Presumably, frame fitting in an instance of Emacs in which you use one
frame at a time or only one frame during your session becomes `buffer
fitting'.  In that case two buffers would be created left and right,
rather than above and below.  Such an instance of Emacs could be in a
console.

In such an instance, some buffer would be chosen automatically to fill
the space otherwise left blank.  That new buffer will not have a full
width since some of that width, normally 80 columns, will be taken by
the other buffer whose width is set by the longest file name.

Incidently, another assumption with a second frame (at least for
practicality) is that the new frame be visible at the same time as the
old -- in X, one of my instances uses the multi-tty branch and I
create a second frame with it, but the two frames are not visible on
the same display.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden