Re: Multiple major modes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Multiple major modes
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:38:58 -0400

    I don't find advising difficult for debugging.

I am surprised.  Why not?

    Actually, the problem with defadvice (for me) is not when the advice is
    enabled, but when it's not because then there's no trace anywhere that the
    function you're looking at has a special relationship to some other piece of
    code elsewhere.

They are two different problems.  Enabled advice can cause confusion
in debugging, because the function may not do what its source code
says; that can cause confusion in debugging.  Separately, changing the
function can break code in advice of that function.

Both of them can be real.  I'm surprised that you think that only the
latter one is important.

When you change a function, often you would search for its callers
to make sure you don't break them.  That search would find advice
for the function, as well as callers.  Thus, I tend to think that
the second problem won't be so bad.

However, when debugging you are likely to need to look
at lots of functions, and it would be a pain to have to search
for advice for each of these functions.