Re: GC: marking traversal and pure symbols

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: GC: marking traversal and pure symbols
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:02:26 -0400

On Jul 6, 2007, at 00:38, Richard Stallman wrote:
We can't make Qnil pure, because its plist can be written.
(It can also be defined as a function, though that would be an
ugly thing to do.)

I've seen that done, many years ago -- and the person who did it ran into interesting problems. I think there was some Emacs code shipped that had a loop over a list testing to see if the car of the list was a function, or something like that -- depending on the fact that nil doesn't (normally) have a function binding to break the loop. I have no idea if the problem is still present.

It wouldn't strike me as a bad thing to make the function slot of Qnil unsettable this way...

Ken