odd change in OSX behavior of toolbar in the past few weeks

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: odd change in OSX behavior of toolbar in the past few weeks
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 20:03:44 -0700

I have

(custom-set-variables
 '(menu-bar-mode t)
 '(tool-bar-mode nil nil (tool-bar))
)

in my .emacs on OSX.  That is, I want the menu to be alive, but
I don't care for those icons occupying 3 lines of valueable space.

Up until two weeks ago, a launch of OSX Emacs started nicely.  However,
sometime in the last two (maybe three) weeks, it now starts up *with*
the toolbar in place for half a second, then it animates that to make
it disappear.

This behavior is annoying.  Is there a setting to make it work the
way I want, or at least the way it used to be?

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>