Re: patch: handle PS/PDF in Gnus

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: patch: handle PS/PDF in Gnus
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:17:26 +0200

David Kastrup skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

For Gtk+ we can use the GtkPrintDialog, but it requires Gtk+ 2.10 or
newer.  It is a bit involved as it needs Emacs to render the data to
be printed with cairo.

Is cairo a possible road into bidirectional rendering, or does it not
actually involve the screen?

I don't really know, but I think it is possible.

Cairo draws to different backends, called surfaces. X11 is one surface, others are PNG, PDF, PostScript, W32, Quartz, OpenGL, SVG. So depending on the surface you draw to, it may involve a screen. The printing dialog returns a suitable surface for the selected printer, and the application is supposed to render into that surface.

        Jan D.