Re: address@hidden: RFE sql-mode sql-product variable]

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RFE sql-mode sql-product variable]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:29:23 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Would it be useful to install something like this?

> Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:56:41 +1000
> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: RFE sql-mode sql-product variable
>
> I have the following handy settings in my .emacs; they might usefully
> be included in Emacs.
>
>   (put 'sql-product 'safe-local-variable 'symbolp)
>   (eval-after-load "sql"
>     '(define-key sql-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-z")
>        (lambda ()
>          (interactive)
>          (let ((f (intern-soft (concat "sql-" (symbol-name
> sql-product)))))
>            (if (and f (commandp f))
>                (call-interactively f)
>              (error (format "Can't connect to %s databases."
> sql-product)))))))
>
> Briefly, they allow you to put
>
>     -*- sql-product: postgres -*- (for arbitrary values of "postgres")
>
> at the top of your foo.sql file, and sql-mode will use the appropriate
> dialect, and also allow you to type C-c C-z to start the appropriate
> listener.
>
> - --
> Trent Buck

I've got a patch that includes this that I am preparing.  It's embedded in a
significant set of changes.

Now that 22.1 is out, I'll send it along shortly.  Unfortunately, long hours
at work have slowed my progress.  I hope to send it along in the next couple
of weeks.

I believe the safe-local-variable change ought to be made to 22.2.  This use
of sql-product is exactly what it was intended to do.