Re: Autoloading comment-forward

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Autoloading comment-forward
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:01:03 -0400

    Richard, do you have an objection to preloading newcomment.el (after
    changing forward-comment to comment-forward-internal, adding backward
    motion to comment-forward and making forward-comment an alias of
    comment-forward).

It is ok if it can't cleanly be avoided.  But I'd rather look
for a way to avoid it, and I expect that should be possible.

For instance, the code of comment-forward could call a new
preloaded function equivalent to `comment-normalize-vars',
and `comment-normalize-vars' itself could call that new function
to do the work.  This way, calls to `comment-normalize-vars'
will still be a good way to cause newcomment.el to get loaded,
and everything that works now will continue to work.