Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:07:00 +0900

> Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> writes:
> >> That can happen later.  For now let's just do the simple and
> >> straight-forward thing.
> >
> > Perhaps.  However, it might be better to include EasyPG before synching
> > Gnus, because it has been the default PGP backend of the Gnus trunk for
> > one year and has been tested.  If we revert the pgg*.el, we will need to
> > wait a while for testing.

> Since easypg isn't included in the gnus trunk or emacs trunk (how can it
> be "the default" if it isn't included?), surely it would require testing
> too.

What I mean by "the default" is that if EasyPG is installed Gnus will
give it precedence over PGG.  Since EasyPG is not a library exclusively
used by Gnus, it has been developped outside the Gnus repository.

The point is, if there are any points of the interface between Gnus and
PGG (as you said), we have to change the caller (i.e. Gnus) and it might
cause a new bug.  On the other hand, EasyPG does not need such a change.
If EasyPG is merged before the Gnus synch, users can continue to use
Gnus' PGP commands via EasyPG while fixing Gnus and PGG issues.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno