RE: highlight failed part of isearch input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: highlight failed part of isearch input
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:16:29 -0700

> There is one inconsistence: when incrementally adding characters to the
> search string it highlights one part (only failed) of the search string,
> but when repeating the search with the same string from the search ring,
> it highlights the whole string.  This is a minor inconsistence, and can
> be tolerated if unavoidable.

Yes. I don't know how to fix that.

And I'm not sure it should be fixed. When you start again with C-s C-s,
recalling the last-used search string, it is normal that that whole string
is sought, and that whole string fails. If we were to highlight only the
failure part in the minibuffer, the cursor in the buffer should logically be
positioned at the last success, which is impossible (there might not even be
one in the current buffer).

I guess I'm saying that I think this is as good as it gets, but I'm open, if
someone has a better idea.