Re: Tramp with GUD broken on trunk?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp with GUD broken on trunk?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:36:45 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> This looks good.  Initially, it wasn't obvious to me how you could use GUD
> with TRAMP.  Are you going to document this kind of use in the Tramp
> manual?  Then I could link to it from the GUD node in the Emacs manual.

Yes, I will do this. But just now I'm debugging gud in order to
stabilize the patch. I'm running into problems with perldb; the change
in gud-common-init doesn't seem to be sufficient.

> This isn't exactly what I meant.  I don't really want the hostname displaying
> in all buffers including those for the local machine.  I was just thinking of
> something like the character 'R', possibly with a different face/background
> colour, for remote buffers similar to the single character flags at the start
> of the mode-line.

There might be different requirements. I, for example, work on dozens
of remote machines in parallel (all machines from our test floor). A
simple "R" indication in the mode line wouldn't help in my use
case. Likely it is sufficient just to document possible approaches.

Best regards, Michael.