Re: Saving the selection before killing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Saving the selection before killing
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:11:25 -0400

>     What it does is that when you kill text, before doing the kill (which will
>     replace the current X-selection with the killed text), we save the current
>     selection on the kill-ring (only if it doesn't come from us, of course
>     since otherwise it's already in the kill-ring).

> When this is what you want, it's useful.  The only possible drawback
> could be that it operates when you don't want it to.  It would
> spuriously insert into the kill ring whenever you kill something Emacs
> and there is an X selection in another program which you did not
> intend to pull into Emacs.

> Are we sure that won't happen and annoy people?

Well, I'm sure sure it does happen since the code does it blindly.
The question is whether it makes a difference to the user.  What you have to
keep in mind is that it inserts the text as the "last but one" element, so
just C-y is not affected, it's only the subsequent M-y which is changed.
So the only case which may cause problem is when the user wanted to do C-y
followed by N times M-y where she'd then need to use M-y N+1 times.

        Stefan