RE: highlight current line when Emacs is idle

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: highlight current line when Emacs is idle
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:22:31 -0700

> >   (defface hl-line
> > !     '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light)) :background
> > "SlateGray3")
> > !       (t :inherit highlight))
>
> I think it is generally an error for a face to inherit in some
> cases and not in others.
>
> I.e. the above should be
>
>   (defface hl-line
>      '((default :inherit highlight)
>        (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
>         :background "SlateGray3"))

You're probably right. And we probably need better default behavior for
non-light-bg color displays too.

(1) Ignorance - I wasn't aware of the guideline involving :inherit, and I
haven't used `default' before.

(2) Laziness - I threw together the face definition quickly to provide
something for the non-light background cases. All I use, myself, is the
light-bg case, so the rest is suspect.

Suggestions welcome. Likewise, for other faces. It's easier for people who
use dark backgrounds to propose something reasonable - likewise for
non-color.