What happens with stdin from emacsclient?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: What happens with stdin from emacsclient?
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:43:24 +0200

The reason that I ask is that in shell-mode, I often have programs
that I would want to run using a pager: I am interested in the top
rather than the bottom of their output, and often I don't want to have
them run to their end.

Setting the environment variable PAGER to cat is for that reason not
really satisfying.  On the other hand, I don't want to page
everything, and the normal pagers (like less) suck in comint mode,
badly.

So setting PAGER to emacsclient -eval comint-pager would be an option,
except that one needs to get at the stdin that is passed into
emacsclient.  Another possibility would be something like
PAGER=cat <(echo Magic Pager String) -
and have comint-mode figure out things from there.