Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:53:38 +0100

On 14 Jul 2007, at 02:55, Stefan Monnier wrote:

The current code checks every possible X resource setting for every face.
Why not list the resources instead and interpret them?
[ At least in my case it would probbaly be much faster since I shouldn't
have any settings in there]

Sounds like a good idea. Almost all the time is spent on importing those X resources. I commented this out and it seems to work just fine for me (no X). On Mac and Windows window systems, is there a reason why X resources should be supported in the first place?

Sharing the faces between frames would be good to. Can faces be deleted? No? This is probably why more and more faces accumulate over time (when you use something like color-theme, e.g.). What is the memory footprint of a single frame then?