Re: read a reply from the terminal

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: read a reply from the terminal
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:30:30 +0300

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:30:00 -0700
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > !       ;; Try to find out the type of terminal by sending a "Secondary
>   > > !       ;; Device Attributes (DA)" query.
>   > > !       (send-string-to-terminal "\e[>0c")
>   > > !
>   > > !       ;; The reply should be of the form: \e [ > NUMBER1 ; NUMBER2 ;
> NUMBER3 c
>   > > !       (when (equal (read-event) ?\e)
>   >
>   > > !       (when (equal (read-event) 91)
>   > > !         (while (not (equal (setq chr (read-event)) ?c))
>   > > !           (setq str (concat str (string chr))))
>   >
>   > What if the terminal is ignoring the query, or there is some other
>   > communication problem, wouldn't that mean that read-event would hang
>   > here?  IMHO the calls should use the timeout feature.
>
> Good point.

I thought about the same problem as Andreas, but didn't ask the
question since you told that you've tested the code on many terminals,
and I assumed those terminals included at least one that didn't
support this command.  If that's not so, I suggest to test the new
code (with timeout) on such a terminal, as well as on those which do
support the command.