Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:02:17 +0200

David Kastrup skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan Monnier skrev:
Sharing the faces between frames would be good to.
What kind of sharing do you have in mind?  Faces are frame-specific,
so changing a face generally affects only the frame for which it is
changed.  If the suggested sharing will defeat this, I don't think
it's a good idea.
I'm thinking of doing ref-counts and COW, so by default, if the new frame is
similar (e.g. on the same screen with the "same" frame parameters), so the
faces are inherited.  They can later get unshared if needed.

What if X resources changed between creation of the first and second frame?

What if?  We don't track the changes of X resources in real-time for
the first frame, so what problem is there in not tracking them between
frames?

Not a problem, but it is a change of behaviour. If we do this change, we should make sure X resources are read only once.

        Jan D.